Friday, September 13, 2013

Shiner Bohemian Black Lager

I love Shiner Bock, so naturally when some of their limited release beers started making it to our area, I was excited to give them a try. Shiner Bohemian Black Lager is a "Schwarzbier" which literally means "black beer" so no surprises come about here when pouring out a very dark brown, near black color with a tan-ish head.

Overall, there's not an overwhelming aroma as you might think. Subtle roasted smell that does increase a bit as the beer warms up. You would think there would be more of that strong, chocolaty, coffee smell and taste, but there's just not. It comes across to me as fairly bland but quite drinkable with a slightly bitter aftertaste. Overall, I'm kind of disappointed with this offering. I wouldn't say I'd never drink it again, but it's not going to be my first choice when I want to grab a 6 pack of a black beer...actually, I'm not sure what would be. Suggestions? Cheers!


The Stats:
ABV: 4.9%
IBU: 18
www.shiner.com

No comments:

Post a Comment